11. Day after day every priest stands and performs his religious duties; again and again he offers the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins.
12. But when this priest had offered for all time one sacrifice for sins, he sat down at the right hand of God.
13. Since that time he waits for his enemies to be made his footstool,
14. because by one sacrifice he has made perfect forever those who are being made holy.
15. The Holy Spirit also testifies to us about this. First he says:
16. "This is the covenant I will make with them after that time, says the Lord. I will put my laws in their hearts, and I will write them on their minds."
17. Then he adds: "Their sins and lawless acts I will remember no more."
18. And where these have been forgiven, there is no longer any sacrifice for sin.
19. Therefore, brothers, since we have confidence to enter the Most Holy Place by the blood of Jesus,
20. by a new and living way opened for us through the curtain, that is, his body,
21. and since we have a great priest over the house of God,
22. let us draw near to God with a sincere heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled to cleanse us from a guilty conscience and having our bodies washed with pure water.
23. Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful.
24. And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds.
25. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another--and all the more as you see the Day approaching.
26. If we deliberately keep on sinning after we have received the knowledge of the truth, no sacrifice for sins is left,
27. but only a fearful expectation of judgment and of raging fire that will consume the enemies of God.
28. Anyone who rejected the law of Moses died without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses.
29. How much more severely do you think a man deserves to be punished who has trampled the Son of God under foot, who has treated as an unholy thing the blood of the covenant that sanctified him, and who has insulted the Spirit of grace?
30. For we know him who said, "It is mine to avenge; I will repay," and again, "The Lord will judge his people."
31. It is a dreadful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.