1. Early on the first day of the week, while it was still dark, Mary Magdalene went to the tomb and saw that the stone had been removed from the entrance.
2. So she came running to Simon Peter and the other disciple, the one Jesus loved, and said, "They have taken the Lord out of the tomb, and we don't know where they have put him!"
3. So Peter and the other disciple started for the tomb.
4. Both were running, but the other disciple outran Peter and reached the tomb first.
5. He bent over and looked in at the strips of linen lying there but did not go in.
6. Then Simon Peter, who was behind him, arrived and went into the tomb. He saw the strips of linen lying there,
7. as well as the burial cloth that had been around Jesus' head. The cloth was folded up by itself, separate from the linen.
8. Finally the other disciple, who had reached the tomb first, also went inside. He saw and believed.
9. (They still did not understand from Scripture that Jesus had to rise from the dead.)
1. Now, brothers, I want to remind you of the gospel I preached to you, which you received and on which you have taken your stand.
2. By this gospel you are saved, if you hold firmly to the word I preached to you. Otherwise, you have believed in vain.
3. For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance : that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures,
4. that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures,
5. and that he appeared to Peter, and then to the Twelve.
6. After that, he appeared to more than five hundred of the brothers at the same time, most of whom are still living, though some have fallen asleep.
7. Then he appeared to James, then to all the apostles,
8. and last of all he appeared to me also, as to one abnormally born.