14. After John was put in prison, Jesus went into Galilee, proclaiming the good news of God.
15. "The time has come," he said. "The kingdom of God is near. Repent and believe the good news!"
16. As Jesus walked beside the Sea of Galilee, he saw Simon and his brother Andrew casting a net into the lake, for they were fishermen.
17. "Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
18. At once they left their nets and followed him.
19. When he had gone a little farther, he saw James son of Zebedee and his brother John in a boat, preparing their nets.
20. Without delay he called them, and they left their father Zebedee in the boat with the hired men and followed him.
21. They went to Capernaum, and when the Sabbath came, Jesus went into the synagogue and began to teach.
22. The people were amazed at his teaching, because he taught them as one who had authority, not as the teachers of the law.
23. Just then a man in their synagogue who was possessed by an evil spirit cried out,
24. "What do you want with us, Jesus of Nazareth? Have you come to destroy us? I know who you are--the Holy One of God!"
25. "Be quiet!" said Jesus sternly. "Come out of him!"
26. The evil spirit shook the man violently and came out of him with a shriek.
27. The people were all so amazed that they asked each other, "What is this? A new teaching--and with authority! He even gives orders to evil spirits and they obey him."
28. News about him spread quickly over the whole region of Galilee.