1. The beginning of the gospel about Jesus Christ, the Son of God.
2. It is written in Isaiah the prophet: "I will send my messenger ahead of you, who will prepare your way" --
3. "a voice of one calling in the desert, `Prepare the way for the Lord, make straight paths for him.'"
4. And so John came, baptizing in the desert region and preaching a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins.
5. The whole Judean countryside and all the people of Jerusalem went out to him. Confessing their sins, they were baptized by him in the Jordan River.
6. John wore clothing made of camel's hair, with a leather belt around his waist, and he ate locusts and wild honey.
7. And this was his message: "After me will come one more powerful than I, the thongs of whose sandals I am not worthy to stoop down and untie.
8. I baptize you with water, but he will baptize you with the Holy Spirit."
9. At that time Jesus came from Nazareth in Galilee and was baptized by John in the Jordan.
10. As Jesus was coming up out of the water, he saw heaven being torn open and the Spirit descending on him like a dove.
11. And a voice came from heaven: "You are my Son, whom I love; with you I am well pleased."
12. At once the Spirit sent him out into the desert,
13. and he was in the desert forty days, being tempted by Satan. He was with the wild animals, and angels attended him.