18. "If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first.
19. If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you.
20. Remember the words I spoke to you: `No servant is greater than his master.' If they persecuted me, they will persecute you also. If they obeyed my teaching, they will obey yours also.
21. They will treat you this way because of my name, for they do not know the One who sent me.
22. If I had not come and spoken to them, they would not be guilty of sin. Now, however, they have no excuse for their sin.
23. He who hates me hates my Father as well.
24. If I had not done among them what no one else did, they would not be guilty of sin. But now they have seen these miracles, and yet they have hated both me and my Father.
25. But this is to fulfill what is written in their Law: `They hated me without reason.'
22. Are they Hebrews? So am I. Are they Israelites? So am I. Are they Abraham's descendants? So am I.
23. Are they servants of Christ? (I am out of my mind to talk like this.) I am more. I have worked much harder, been in prison more frequently, been flogged more severely, and been exposed to death again and again.
24. Five times I received from the Jews the forty lashes minus one.
25. Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was stoned, three times I was shipwrecked, I spent a night and a day in the open sea,
26. I have been constantly on the move. I have been in danger from rivers, in danger from bandits, in danger from my own countrymen, in danger from Gentiles; in danger in the city, in danger in the country, in danger at sea; and in danger from false brothers.
27. I have labored and toiled and have often gone without sleep; I have known hunger and thirst and have often gone without food; I have been cold and naked.
28. Besides everything else, I face daily the pressure of my concern for all the churches.
29. Who is weak, and I do not feel weak? Who is led into sin, and I do not inwardly burn?