1. Then Joseph could no longer control himself before all his attendants, and he cried out, "Have everyone leave my presence!" So there was no one with Joseph when he made himself known to his brothers.
2. And he wept so loudly that the Egyptians heard him, and Pharaoh's household heard about it.
3. Joseph said to his brothers, "I am Joseph! Is my father still living?" But his brothers were not able to answer him, because they were terrified at his presence.
4. Then Joseph said to his brothers, "Come close to me." When they had done so, he said, "I am your brother Joseph, the one you sold into Egypt!
5. And now, do not be distressed and do not be angry with yourselves for selling me here, because it was to save lives that God sent me ahead of you.
6. For two years now there has been famine in the land, and for the next five years there will not be plowing and reaping.
7. But God sent me ahead of you to preserve for you a remnant on earth and to save your lives by a great deliverance.
8. "So then, it was not you who sent me here, but God. He made me father to Pharaoh, lord of his entire household and ruler of all Egypt.
9. Now hurry back to my father and say to him, `This is what your son Joseph says: God has made me lord of all Egypt. Come down to me; don't delay.
10. You shall live in the region of Goshen and be near me--you, your children and grandchildren, your flocks and herds, and all you have.
11. I will provide for you there, because five years of famine are still to come. Otherwise you and your household and all who belong to you will become destitute.'
15. When Joseph's brothers saw that their father was dead, they said, "What if Joseph holds a grudge against us and pays us back for all the wrongs we did to him?"
16. So they sent word to Joseph, saying, "Your father left these instructions before he died:
17. `This is what you are to say to Joseph: I ask you to forgive your brothers the sins and the wrongs they committed in treating you so badly.' Now please forgive the sins of the servants of the God of your father." When their message came to him, Joseph wept.
18. His brothers then came and threw themselves down before him. "We are your slaves," they said.
19. But Joseph said to them, "Don't be afraid. Am I in the place of God?
20. You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives.
21. So then, don't be afraid. I will provide for you and your children." And he reassured them and spoke kindly to them.