1. Paul, called to be an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, and our brother Sosthenes,
2. To the church of God in Corinth, to those sanctified in Christ Jesus and called to be holy, together with all those everywhere who call on the name of our Lord Jesus Christ--their Lord and ours:
3. Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.
1. It was about this time that King Herod arrested some who belonged to the church, intending to persecute them.
2. He had James, the brother of John, put to death with the sword.
3. When he saw that this pleased the Jews, he proceeded to seize Peter also. This happened during the Feast of Unleavened Bread.
4. After arresting him, he put him in prison, handing him over to be guarded by four squads of four soldiers each. Herod intended to bring him out for public trial after the Passover.
5. So Peter was kept in prison, but the church was earnestly praying to God for him.